D19311: Add navigation history to forward/back buttons

Richard llom noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Apr 14 13:42:58 BST 2019

richardl added a comment.

  In D19311#419465 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D19311#419465>, @hallas wrote:

  > This change is still WIP and is meant as a discussion point. I would like to get some feedback on this in general but most specifically around what to show in the navigation drop down? Currently I just put the full URL there but that is not very user friendly.

  My thoughts on this (long sought :) feature:

  1. Since Firefox et al were already referenced, you guys surely noticed that pushing on **either** back or forward gives you the same dropdown-menu there. Can we expect this behavior also with this patch? (Didn't saw it mentioned yet).
  2. Re. list size: Firefox has 15 list items. So if you want to go back 20 entries, you have to invoke the menu twice (going -14 and then -6). Which I think is a reasonable approach. Showing **all** history entries at once, can get ugly quiet fast with a long history.
  3. Re. action title: I would be ok with just the (top) folder name. If you go with the path, I would make sure that there is a character limit, otherwise the menu could look quite ugly for users with long paths.

  Below attached screenshot from firefox for reference:

  F6771410: Screenshot_20190414_141310.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6771410>
  Also notice the page icon in front of the title, which upon hovering changes to either the forward or backward arrow.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin