D15989: Do not offer to unmount / or /home

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Oct 6 23:17:31 BST 2018

ngraham added subscribers: bruns, broulik, ngraham.
ngraham added a comment.

  Agreed in principle.

  Yes, we generally prefer to disable unavailable options rather than removing them. The HIG says <https://hig.kde.org/patterns/content/settings.html?highlight=hardware#implementation>:

  > If some of the program’s settings are only applicable in certain contexts, do not hide the inapplicable ones. Instead, disable them and hint to the user why they’re disabled. Exception: it is acceptable to hide settings for non-existent hardware. For example, it’s okay to hide the touchpad configuration when no touchpad is present.

  This doesn't seem like it falls under the exception, so let's disable it instead of not showing it at all. Bonus points if the disabled item's tooltip tells the user why the disk can't be unmounted!

  I wonder if this is the correct way to make the change, though. Perhaps `providesTearDown` should get a third condition that checks for "can unmount", if Solid provides that functionality. @bruns or @broulik, do you know if it does?

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin