D16648: Open externally called files/directories in new tabs

Alexander Saoutkin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Nov 4 20:41:41 GMT 2018

feverfew added a comment.

  In D16648#353559 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16648#353559>, @anthonyfieroni wrote:

  > --new-window will be more readable, about me. Add braces on one line conditions, tryRise should be raise ('try' does not make sense).

  Ok will add braces once we get a review of whether the patch should remain as an option.

  The 'try' is there for two reasons. Firstly, raise() is already a function ( that is inherited) in DolphinMainWindow. Secondly, Qt does not allow you to raise a minimised a window above all others without you explicitly clicking on it in the task manager, or some other way. Although, KWindowSystem seems to have hacked something together to allow us to do so, as it makes sense in this case. As I was making this patch and reading around, the window may not always be raised, depending on the window manager.

  In D16648#354030 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D16648#354030>, @elvisangelaccio wrote:

  > Thanks for the patch. Before I look at the code: why a new option for this feature?
  >
  > We should add new options only if there is a really good reason, because the more options we have the more complex the codebase becomes.
  >
  > Also, looking at the bugzilla ticket it seems that this feature was already in konqueror and it was not ported to dolphin because it didn't have tabs at the time. That's one more reason to not make an option out of this.

  Because it will be a big (but positive) change for some users. Of course, there is a reason why the setting is set as default, and only the change in how the program works is why I added it as an option. I am happy to let people discuss whether it should appear as an option. I personally, would actually prefer it to not be an option.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin