D10698: Adds a new RenameDialog to Dolphin with more options for batch renaming

Emirald Mateli noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Mar 31 19:20:21 BST 2018

emateli added a comment.

  So this is finally updated with the latest changes and a new test suite for some utility functions and the code which does the macro substitution, find&replace and group capturing.

  @rkflx, @ngraham as far as usability is concerned for the first tab with the placeholder replacement, while both the images you submitted are better than the temp label i've been using, I can't help but notice they both take quite a bit of space and would make the form rather large. What do you think of having something like in the image below where you insert the tokens via a dropdown? Again, I have no strong opinion on the matter and would like to have a consistent approach among KDE apps given that Spectacle, Gwenview and now Dolphin will be utilizing some form of that "token replacement".

  F5779960: unnamed.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5779960>

  As far as merging "Find & Replace" with "Capture groups" goes I'd still like to keep them separate, but I look forward to more toughts on the matter.

  On a final note, @dfaure: in order to be complete this would need either a new or an update on the batchRename KIO operation, as mentioned in my comment above, it will add the "#" number even if the placeholder is present. This dialog does all the necessary substitutions before sending them to KIO. I think a new batchRename operation which does no additional processing but simply renames a list of files might be needed. Thoughts on the matter? Should I start preparing a new patch for KIO?

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin