D11354: Add vi-mode

Mark Gaiser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 15 16:11:36 GMT 2018

markg added a comment.

  In D11354#226546 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11354#226546>, @rominf wrote:

  > OK, the main problem from your comments is that it's enabled by default. I followed the example of Okular with it's [hjkl] keys for movements (those keys are enabled by default, you can test it).
  >
  > But it's not a big deal, I can make it an option that's disabled by default.
  >
  > @mmustac OK, it indeed breaks select-as-you-type feature. As a workaround, it's possible to use [/] to invoke a filter panel.
  >
  > In D11354#226530 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11354#226530>, @markg wrote:
  >
  > > I'm also not sure if this would be accepted. Not every feature request should be implemented.
  > >  Things like this would be perfectly suited for a plugin, too bad Dolphin has no plugin support ;)
  >

  > Kate and Okular have a plugin system, although they have vi-mode builtin. What's wrong with having a functionality what's disabled by default?
  >
  > In D11354#226534 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11354#226534>, @ngraham wrote:
  >
  > > I'm also not even sure how much sense this makes conceptually. `vi` is a text editor; Dolphin is a file manager. The concepts don't really mesh very well.
  >

  > From a vi user perspective, vi-mode make sense in any application. See those two <https://stackoverflow.com/questions/779348/vim-movement-on-other-programs> lists <https://xaizek.github.io/2016-08-13/big-list-of-vim-like-software/>.
  >  As for file managers, look at ranger <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_(file_manager)>. It's one of the most popular console file managers.
  >
  > So, will you accept this if I make it optional and disabled by default?

  Well, i will only review the code and then resign when it's OK in my opinion. I'm not going to give a +1 for this feature as i highly doubt it's usefulness and therefore only clutters the code with a feature no-one (or very few people) will use.
  If others like it then there might be a justifications for adding it. I guess you just have to find some people who would really like to have this.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin