D11118: Show a message if Konsole part is not installed

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 8 19:26:57 GMT 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  In D11118#221492 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11118#221492>, @ngraham wrote:

  > What I don't like is how the KMessageWidget is right in the middle of the panel, really. I'd accept the current UI if we display it at the top of the panel, rather than in the middle.

  +1

  > The "no appstream:// Url handler installed" message from KIO is accurate, but kind of unpleasant right now, and it doesn't give the user a clear path forward. It would be nice if  we provided our own message that offered rudimentary instructions to help the user install the necessary packages using the command line, like your original patch did. This is that right place for that!

  Try looking at Gwenview's Plugins menu. When I have Discover installed, it offers to install KIPI plugins, if not, it just says "No plugins found". As for giving manual instructions, I think that won't work, given the variety of distros there are. I would just disable the install button here, no need to make it too complicated.

  >> Let's ship it!
  >
  > When it's done, we certainly will! :-) The purpose of this review process is not to be an annoying gate, but to make sure that code that gets committed is of the highest quality and doesn't require follow-up commits to fix bugs or improve the UI. People get busy or lose interest and those follow-up -patches often don't materialize. It's important to get it right in the first go as often as we can.

  Hear, hear! Also, this needs code review from experienced #dolphin <https://phabricator.kde.org/tag/dolphin/> developers.

  ---

  In D11118#221449 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11118#221449>, @ngraham wrote:

  > Perhaps openSUSE has lousy AppStream metadata.

  As someone involved with the topic, you should know better than spreading cheap FUD. Of course it works fine on openSUSE, you just have to install Discover (that's where the problem might be, but that probably also depends on the "readiness" of Discover…).

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin