T9036: Checkboxes in mixed-control layouts

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jun 17 20:07:36 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  @medhefgo

  I really like that! But how well does it work in layouts that don't have group boxes, or that have mixed controls within each section, or that doesn't really have distinct sections, or where the window is always very wide (e.g. in System Settings)?

  @abetts

  The problem with trying to form a sentence with the labels is that it often doesn't work once you localize it, because languages have different word ordering. Another issue is that if you're trying to give every checkbox a left label, what do you do when several of them would have the same label? If you only give the top one a label, it runs into a problem for any subsequent ones that don't re-use that label. For example I think this looks weird:

                 Show: [X] Tooltips
                       [ ] Selection Marker

    Change file names: [X] Rename inline
    Switch Split View: [X] Using Tab Key

  But if you give them all a label, then you get duplicated text on the left which also doesn't look great:

                 Show: [X] Tooltips
                 Show: [ ] Selection Marker

    Change file names: [X] Rename inline
    Switch Split View: [X] Using Tab Key