D12571: Modernize Settings window

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jun 14 14:18:43 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D12571#277946 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12571#277946>, @elvisangelaccio wrote:

  > In D12571#276764 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12571#276764>, @ngraham wrote:>
  >
  > > Don't they control how the view appears on startup?
  >

  > Only "Split view mode" does. The other ones control things that are outside the view. How about using "On startup:" and rewording the sentences on the checkboxes where necessary?

  I was using the term "View" from a user perspective. I think to people who aren't Dolphin developers, these are view settings. The technical distinction between the view, its container, and the main window are not relevant to users, or important to understand.

  > Other comments on the UI before looking at the code:
  >
  > - In the Startup page, what does "Location" refer to? The groupbox made it clear it was the Home folder, now we are hiding this information.

  "Home folder" has an established meaning: it's your user's own home folder. Using the label "Home folder" always seemed to imply that you could change your home folder, which was not true. In fact, this setting simply controls what folder dolphin shows on startup. The fact that you're on the "Startup" tab I think does a good job of suggesting that the settings on this page control Dolphin's behavior and appearance when it launches. Maybe I could add a small label at the top of the window explaining that?

  > - In the View Modes page: "Expandable folders: [] Enable" => do we really have to? :(

  Yeah, I'm not thrilled with this, either. Checkboxes like these would look much better if they were switches (which always have their labels on the left), but we can't use switches until and unless we move Dolphin to an instant-apply paradigm.

  > - The Confirmation tab now is better but still confusing. I don't see why we need to touch it at all honestly, given that there are only checkboxes in there.

  I feel like there's resistance to the visual design conception itself. I'm getting the feeling that you simply don't like the labels-on-the-left paradigm itself. Perhaps we should address that rather than arguing over individual examples of its application.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin