D12571: Modernize Settings window

Elvis Angelaccio noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jun 5 22:42:26 BST 2018

elvisangelaccio added a comment.

  In D12571#272751 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12571#272751>, @ngraham wrote:

  > I updated the title to reflect what this patch actually does now: it modernizes the look and feel of the whole settings window to be in line with the current HIG and our latest design focus for settings windows throughout KDE.

  I understand, but this makes the patch impossible to review. Commits should be atomic, so that while reviewing we can easily see what's being changed and why.

  > This visual style is the one that VDG has settled on, and while it's certainly open to tweaks, changes, and improvements, I feel like we should make a good faith effort to adopt it. If there are some parts that don't quite work, that's great feedback we can use to refine the design, not unlike how Kirigami has recently gained polish and features as a result of adopting it for the KCM redesign project.
  >
  > Since Dolphin is a flagship KDE app, my thinking was that it should be one of the first of our apps to benefit from the new design.
  >
  > Can you point out the regressions so I can fix them?

  From a quick look:

  - Form layouts everywhere, even when it doesn't make sense (e.g. the Navigation page that only has a list of checkboxes).
  - "Use Default Location" button dropped, I don't see what we gain with that.
  - The checkboxes in the Startup page are not "view options".
  - The Confirmations tab no longer explains that those settings affect all KDE applications.

  I may be missing something else in the actual code, which I didn't see at all.

  In D12571#273433 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12571#273433>, @abetts wrote:

  > This is a good question. I think what is being aimed at is a look and feel similar to this: https://phabricator.kde.org/M112
  >
  > This is a recent design direction we took when redesigning system settings. I think it would look awesome and very consistent to this new design to align Dolphin preferences to this idea. That way, we don't have 2 design ideas floating around. So it was great timing that this work came up. Would you be OK to continue on this design direction given the direction that System Settings is taking?

  It's not clear to me what this direction should be for Dolphin. I thought we had a problem with groupboxes, but now it seems the goal is "always use a form layout".
  I already mentioned it in T8655 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T8655> and I'll repeat it here: it would be wrong to use a form layout //everywhere//. A form is a very specific thing and a setting page is often not a form (this is especially true in dolphin).

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin