D14770: Generate file thumbnails before folder thumbnails

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Aug 13 09:19:50 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  Yes, I used the latest version of the patch. My comments are still:

  - With folders interspersed within the files: big improvement
  - With folders first:
    - Small number of sub-folders: big improvement
    - Medium number of sub-folders: a wash
    - Enough sub-folders so that you need to scroll to see any files: regression since it seems for a moment that nothing's happening

  FWIW on my fast SSD-based machine, it's all mostly a wash, as the thumbnails are displayed almost faster than I can notice.

  Perhaps, could we only opt in to this behavior when the number of sub-folders is below some threshold? That would eliminate the only minor regression. Even better if that threshold could be dynamically determined and correspond to "a number equal to how many items can appear in the current window". In other words, we should not do this there are folders and files, but only folders are visible (because then it looks like nothing is happening for a moment).

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin