D12321: Hide file preview when icon is too small

Mark Gaiser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Apr 23 12:03:57 BST 2018

markg requested changes to this revision.
markg added a comment.

  That looks really fancy! :)
  Yet i have to give it a -1..

  You are overwriting a setting that the user had explicitly set (show preview). That will result in a "huh, why is the preview off all of a sudden?" responses which will lead to bug reports.
  I would consider it a bug if the view is going to decide for me when i want to see previews and when not.

  Also, i really would not base this logic on fonts. I can have smaller fonts just because i might like that (or bigger, same argument) which would then determine when the preview is switched off.
  I get that this is a tricky area, but it would be much better if you can somehow determine if the preview is going to be smaller then - lets say - 1 by 1 centimeters (in physical size, therefore you need to know the scaling ratio and the dpi) or in inch it would be 0.39 by 0.39. That would be a more logical decision to turn on/off previews.

  This logic breaks in really high resolution displays (take smartphones for example) where a 1x1 cm block can (and should!) easily show you an image. But lets lets consider that a out-of-scope issue as dolphin isn't on the smartphone (that i'm aware of), just something that might need to be considered in the future.

  That being said, having an "auto preview" (aka, the view knows best, your implementation) would be awesome! But not as overridden user setting.
  Perhaps the preview button needs to become a tri-state button:

  - Off
  - On (always a preview, the user knows best)
  - Auto (the view decides when you see a preview)

  I have no clue how a tri-state button would look in dolphin though :) Or even if the Breeze theme has a graphical representation for it.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO