D12333: Put the open/save dialog's toolbar above all other widgets, like Dolphin does

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Apr 20 09:34:05 BST 2018

rkflx added a comment.

  In D12333#250194 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12333#250194>, @abetts wrote:

  > I gave a +1 to the original idea because I feel that there isn't really much closeness that you can achieve with the open dialog. It is simple, straightforward.

  I find the pre-patch design also very streamlined.

  > If we wanted to do a strict fitt's law follow, then each back and forth icon would be next to each of the folders and not in a toolbar.

  Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. Having the navigation buttons right above the breadcrumb bar is still better the having them crammed in the top left corner.

  > But we also have to see that there is stronger merit in organizing and looking for symmetry. Symmetry will sometimes help a user more than Fitt's guidelines.

  This statement may be true in general, but does not fit in our case, as I don't see much symmetry here, TBH. Panel and item view occupy most of the height, and thus are the most important elements. They are split asymmetrical in the horizontal direction, and rightly so. Adding a centered toolbar goes against this and breaks up the split, adding even more asymmetry.

  Furthermore, users are able to hide the places panel. With the current design the spatial relation between buttons and item view stays constant, while with a centered approach it will jump around.

  > get user feedback.

  The file dialog is an important piece of the entire UI. We cannot endlessly change things back and forth, we have to get it right by logical thinking the first time (in this case it would even be the third time!). In KDE3 it was centered, based on feedback from a usability expert it was changed to the current design. In terms of //user// feedback, I'm not aware of any huge issue users have with it right now.

  Do you want to change things around again until there //actually// is negative feedback? I'd agree with basing design decisions on user feedback if we had better telemetry or did some eye tracking studies, but our current method of hearing user's opinions over on Reddit and Bugzilla is not very effective in painting a broad picture, IMO.

  ---

  Anyway, I'll come back to this Diff once the Sort button is in and we decided on a final default dialog size. This should make the decision easier, because after all the main motivation was to create space for more buttons.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO