D12337: Give the file dialogs a "Sort by" menu button on the toolbar

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 19 23:12:49 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D12337#249988 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12337#249988>, @markg wrote:

  > Well, the icon certainly is better and without text is much better as well, but i still don't like (nor see the value) of having this sort option that prominent "in your face".
  >  You can sort right now via:
  >
  > - Settings icon -> Sorting -> take your pick

  This patch removes that.

  > - RMB on the list -> Sorting -> take your pick

  I can remove it from there too if you'd like :-) (only for the file dialog obviously, not for all `KDirOperator` clients)

  > - one-click sorting on the headers (if you open a view with headers)

  Again, only if the view shows column headers.

  > I did also just notice that the arrow icon in a header is visible when the view is sorted on that column.

  If even you--an expert software developer--only just noticed that now, I think that's a fairly good confirmation that it's not a very discoverable feature. :-)

  > On top of that, the default view (when you don't change anything as a user) is a the detailed view

  Not yet; the default view is still Short View, which doesn't show column headers. Even if we change it (in D12327 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12327>), we will still have one of the two primarily-featured modes lacking headers and therefore an easilt discoverable way to change the sort order.

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO