D12337: Give the file dialogs a "Sort by" menu button on the toolbar

Mark Gaiser noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 19 20:20:37 BST 2018

markg added a comment.

  In D12337#249814 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12337#249814>, @rkflx wrote:

  > In D12337#249528 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D12337#249528>, @rkflx wrote:
  >
  > > F5812548: KIO-toolbar-sort-button.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F5812548>
  >

  > @broulik  @markg Do you like the screenshot above better? The button does not float in the middle, and takes less space.
  >
  > @andreaska Any tips for a better sort icon? Would it be too much to ask for a new one? (Our current icons often contain characters or a sorting direction, while here we'd need a more generic icon describing a menu containing various sorting options.)

  Well, the icon certainly is better and without text is much better as well, but i still don't like (nor see the value) of having this sort option that prominent "in your face".
  You can sort right now via:

  - RMB on the list -> Sorting -> take your pick
  - Settings icon -> Sorting -> take your pick
  - one-click sorting on the headers (if you open a view with headers)

  You think we need a **fourth** option?

  I did also just notice that the arrow icon in a header is visible when the view is sorted on that column.
  On top of that, the default view (when you don't change anything as a user) is a the detailed view (thus with a visible sort indicator) and one-click sorting on the headers.
  You can't satisfy all users, in "my" opinion the current way (without this patch) is fine.

  Just because the space is there now doesn't mean the it should be filled with icons ;)

REPOSITORY
  R241 KIO