D11022: Resize the "normal" folder icons

Scott Harvey noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 3 23:02:22 BST 2018

sharvey added a comment.

  Personally, I like the overlays of content on the folders. I think it's a very stylish and unique feature. +1 for keeping this, in general.

  I'd suggest a maximum size on the icon - not unlimited. We've got to be somewhat reasonable, right? I don't care much for the previews above that show the icon fully maximized in the preview box. It definitely needs a margin. Negative space is easier on the eyes. Maybe something like 85% or 90% of the space. And whatever happens, the aspect ratio has to be 1:1. One of the screenshots looks stretched in the `X` direction.

  I tried installing a couple of file managers from other distros (GNOME, Mint), but they didn't play well in the KDE environment. Nemo (Mint) actually crashed. But I didn't see a preview pane in either - although they're both extendable through scripts and plugins, so anything is possible.

  We don't want to poach directly from macOS, but Apple sets a high standard for usability and design.

  My vote is for a Finder-esque display, with a maximum icon size and the preview overlays. As for the zoom animation, it should zoom on empty folders (or folders without preview contents) as well.