D11022: Resize the "normal" folder icons

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 3 22:22:22 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D11022#238587 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11022#238587>, @xyquadrat wrote:

  > I agree that the large icon might look too big for wide panels, but I guess the only really good way to optimize for such a corner case would be to increase the font size as well (which is another task, and might look bad).
  >
  > This patch turned out to be a lot more complex than I first thought... How do other file managers cope with this?

  **macOS Finder's Information Panel equivalent**
  Like Dolphin:

  - Has an unlimited maximum width
  - Limits the size of an un-previewed icon when the panel is really wide

  Unlike Dolphin:

  - Does not offer folders previews at all
  - Does not animate the transition when the selection changes

  As a result, Finder doesn't have this issue. Thoughts for paths forward here:

  - Don't resize the folder previews to take up the full available width
  - Display a preview of the folder's contents that looks more different (e.g. more of the content, and less of the folder icon itself in the background), so the resize animation makes people realize that what's being displayed is a preview of the contents
  - Leave it as-is and WONTFIX the bug :(