D11897: Expose group information to Dolphin's Information panel, tooltips, etc

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Apr 3 20:30:12 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D11897#239275 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11897#239275>, @zzag wrote:

  > Well, I often wonder whether a given file is an executable or writable..

  To me, this suggests that we might want to badge the icon itself or something, because this is generally useful information, and also has security implications (you don't want executable programs masquerading unseen as regular files).

  In D11897#239275 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D11897#239275>, @zzag wrote:

  > Personally, I think it's okay to show traditional Unix file permissions because Linux is a Unix-like operating system* but I'm a "developer" so maybe my opinion shouldn't count.

  Heh, it's not that your opinion doesn't count, but rather that we trust skilled people with specialized needs to optimize their own workspaces as needed. We optimize general-purpose tools for the common case, not the specialized case.

  "Simple by default... yadda yadda yadda". In this case, it seems that the "powerful when needed" part of customizing the Information Panel's display was too well hidden, and we can and should improve that (in another patch, obviously).

REPOSITORY
  R824 Baloo Widgets