D7647: Two clicks on file/folder to rename

Henrik Fehlauer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Oct 26 10:42:40 BST 2017

rkflx added a comment.

  While it is nice you provide a patch and not just comments, first we need to reach a consensus whether this is the behaviour we want. So far, you just keep repeating your stance without any new convincing arguments (at least to me).

  Let me detail why I wrote above that for me this is not something with a net benefit to the user experience. Without your patch, explaining the renaming feature to the casual user is easy:

  - Fast double click to open.
  - Click to select.
  - Second click to rename.

  With your patch, explaining, understanding and executing the action is much harder:

  - Fast double click to open.
  - Click to select.
  - Second click to rename, but make sure to remember the fine print:
    - There is an additional timing constraints, which cannot be explained by "fast double click". Got to systemsettings, find the module and the setting, multiply by three, practice five times a week to get a feel for this interval.
    - Got it eventually? Great. Now make sure your are not clicking too fast, but also not too slow.
    - Coming back to the window and item is already selected? Well, is this case, for the feature to work you need to "select" again with a first click, without visual feedback though. We know this is inconsistent and for computers the first click does not turn sour like milk, but let's just pretend it does.

  I hope you don't mind too much the style I wrote this in. My point is, that in the real world this is a much bigger problem than starting an accidental action (rename in this case), because there is so much else that executes on single click that users are already accustomed to it. The "double click to open" / "single click to select" really is just a feature to make selecting easier, not to require two clicks for every action.

  But that are just my two cents. Apart from that your patch works fine and ultimately the maintainers of Dolphin should decide on something final, so this Diff can be closed eventually (it is dragging along for too long already).

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin