D7498: Add option to group hidden files and folders at the end

Elvis Angelaccio noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 25 17:09:25 BST 2017

elvisangelaccio added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D7498#139531, @Zren wrote:

  > @broulik oh awesome. Uhg, not sure why I didn't see that function.
  >
  > @elvisangelaccio:
  >
  > > The actual problem here is that hidden entries "get in the way" when sorting is not by Name, right?
  >
  > They get in the way no matter the sorting when you have "folders first" enabled in `~/` since it has 10 to 20 hidden folders (like `~/.local` and `~/.config`) before your user folders (`~/Music`). Your home directory is likely where you'll toggle it on anyways since it has all the dotfiles usually.
  >
  > - Right now it expects you to browse with hidden files invisible, which means you have to know they are there before you go looking for them.
  > - Toggling hidden files on means you need to toggle it off afterwards, before you leave the current directory, which you can't if you want to enter a hidden directory. Otherwise you have to toggle it off the next time you visit the folder.
  > - It's a lot easier to just leave them visible at the bottom and type `.config [Enter]` or scroll to the bottom and click.

  For the record, there is also another way: click the url navigator widget and type `.c [Tab]` (will auto-complete to `.config`). No need to toggle hidden visibility and no need to group hidden files.

  > Just realized I probably need to also write a test in `src/tests/kfileitemmodeltest.cpp` if this gets accepted. `KFileItemModelTest::testSorting()` probably.

  Yes please, if you could add a test I'd probably be ok with accepting this patch.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin