D7498: Add option to group hidden files and folders at the end

Chris Holland noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Aug 24 18:04:47 BST 2017

Zren added a comment.

  @broulik oh awesome. Uhg, not sure why I didn't see that function.

  @elvisangelaccio:

  > The actual problem here is that hidden entries "get in the way" when sorting is not by Name, right?

  They get in the way no matter the sorting when you have "folders first" enabled in `~/` since it has 10 to 20 hidden folders (like `~/.local` and `~/.config`) before your user folders (`~/Music`). Your home directory is likely where you'll toggle it on anyways since it has all the dotfiles usually.

  - Right now it expects you to browse with hidden files invisible, which means you have to know they are there before you go looking for them.
  - Toggling hidden files on means you need to toggle it off afterwards, before you leave the current directory, which you can't if you want to enter a hidden directory. Otherwise you have to toggle it off the next time you visit the folder.
  - It's a lot easier to just leave them visible at the bottom and type `.config [Enter]` or scroll to the bottom and click.

  Just realized I probably need to also write a test in `src/tests/kfileitemmodeltest.cpp` if this gets accepted. `KFileItemModelTest::testSorting()` probably.

  As for maintaining, so long as I use KDE I'll probably be rebasing an expirimental branch on dolphin/master <https://github.com/Zren/dolphin#dolphin-zren> with a few experimental features. Merging this upstream is mostly for the others who were interested in this feature that don't want to compile every few months. I can understand if you don't want to bet on me not being around 10 years from now though.

REPOSITORY
  R318 Dolphin