Started trying to build Dolphin file browser to fix my intermittent file copy progress issue

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 16:05:50 GMT 2016

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 6:51 AM, Art <pinaar14 at gmail.com> wrote:

> It works then stops showing up after I tweak a few things and it comes
> back after I do some major Ubuntu default LightDM upgrades.
>
> I assumed I could build it since it works sometimes even I'm not using the
> KDE DM, but anongit.kde.org/dolphin repo has too many dependencies that
> I'm wondering why it ever worked in the first place.
>
> I used an online guide for building using, "kdesrc-build
> --include-dependencies...", but I just got too many errors even though I
> updated a few lines in my ~/.kdesrc-buildrc to match my environment.
> I'm running Ubuntu 16.10, Linux cs1 4.8.0-27-generic #29-Ubuntu SMP Thu
> Oct 20 21:03:13 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux. I used the sample
> parameter, "branch-group kf5-qt5" in my configuration, but I really just
> want the absolute minimal footprint that will give me the file copy
> progress status panels when I copy files in Dolphin.
>
> I've developed code for over 40 years, but pretty much stayed in the
> Visual Studio under Windows and GCC C/C++ under Linux, mostly building with
> a little original development for file manipulation and checksum
> verification to suit my needs.
>
> Thx - Psi

Hi,

If you want a fast way to rebuild dolphin then the kdesrc-build way
certainly isn't it. It will build a lot, and you only want dolphin.. So
that might be a bit overkill.
The reason it failed is probably (just guessing here) some missing that
might not be installed.

Here is how i would do it (on ArchLinux) but you can follow the same
principle in Ubuntu.

1. Install the build dependencies for a package. For ArchLinux that is a
plain simple PKGBUILD file (just a text file) followed by a "makepkg"
command. For Ubuntu "apt-get build-dep <package>" probably works.
2. Next up, get the source of the package you want to modify. Ubuntu with
apt-get probably has ways for that, but i don't know. Not an Ubuntu user
here. What i would do is clone the package in question (dolphin in this
case https://cgit.kde.org/dolphin.git/). Clone that and then checkout the
version that matches the one your Ubuntu version uses. It probably is "
16.04.3 so in the git repository you check that out with: "git checkout
v16.04.3" (you can see all tags on the dolhin url i just linked to or with
git commands.
3. Then it's time to build. Make a build folder anywhere you want. From
that folder you do "cmake <dolphin_source_folder>" then "make -j 17" (17 =
threads * 2 + 1. In my case i have 8 threads).
4. Wait :)
5. Now you have a dolphin executable

That should work.. It's my workflow if i want to test something out on a
specific version without recompiling everything.