Using the KVersionControlPlugin in Dolphin.

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:06:45 GMT 2015

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 8:52 PM, Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've build a backup service providing a backup service and version
> management: for an user it's very easy to browse the backup and
> versions of a file, as well as access them.
>
> See:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/fusebackup/
>
> It's using btrfs to manage backup and snapshots, sqlite to administer
> the differences between snapshots and fuse to provide easy access to
> the backup and the available versions of files.
>
> I want to create a plugin for dolphin, and found the
> KVersionControlPlugin, which is used for git and svn. This is not
> usable I'm afraid for backups and providing easy access to versions,
> it's more for syncing with a remote server, and see what the
> differences are.
>
> In my case it's a local service, with for certain folders a backup
> available (configured by the yuser of course) and for every file in
> those folders versions available (if a backup is made yet).
> I want to make it possible that the user can rightclick (when
> righthanded) on a file, then an option in the context menu is
> available to show the versions of a file. When selected Dolphin should
> expand the file with every version.
>
> Maybe a backup api is neccesary?
>
> Stef Bon

Hi Stef,

What you're looking for sounds like a custom KIO plugin that lists the
content of your backup service the way you want it.
Sebastian Trueg made a tv serie browser in a kioslave and nepomuk (which is
baloo these days): http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=148910 that
will probably serve as a neat sample.

But i don't think you can do custom right mouse (context menu) entries for
a custom KIO slave.