Question (again) about enabling showing backup and previous versions in Dolphin.

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 16:27:15 GMT 2015

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:31 PM, Stef Bon <stefbon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've posted here earlier to make it possible to add backup functionality
> to Dolphin.
> 'm a developer of a backup project. It's called fuse-backup, and aims to
> provide easy access to backup and earlier versions through a fuse
> filesystem.
>
> It's using btrfs to create snapshots, sqlite to keep track of what has
> been changed ans what versions of a file are available, and a fuse fs to
> provide easy access and a simple interface to manage backups.
>
> See:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/fusebackup/
>
> I've been looking at the existing versioncontrolplugin API  of Dolphin,
> but it looks like I need something else. Now on one my computers I have the
> latest Ubuntu desktop version installed, and I see that in the filemanager
> in Unity there is already such an option:"Revert to Previous Version...".
>
> This is simular what I want. I'm thinking of an option in the context menu
> like "Show previous versions..." and when enabling that, Dolphin should
> expand the selected file with the versions available. This is tight
> integration (no external tool) but is I think the best option.
> Tools to view the previous version and compare it with the current version
> are not yet available for office files, but are something I also want to
> work on. Earlier I spoke Michael Meeks about using libreoffice to compare
> office files, and recent versions have libreofficekit, which makes it
> possible to build a viewer using tiles. Then it's not too hard to compare
> documents by comparing tiles of the pages.
>
> What is your opinion. Earlier I've posted this, and I believe one
> reaction. Should I just try to build this, creating a backup api for
> Dolphin and an interface to my software and offer a patch?
>
> Stef
> the Netherlands

Hi Stef,

Fellow dutchie ;)

I don't think there is an easy way to add this to dolphin.

It "sounds" like you need an entirely different view for that. The stuff
used for the version logic might have some common stuff you'd like to use,
but i still doubt if it would be really useful for your idea.

The best way for you would probably be to just.. make something and get it
working. I would begin by trying to make it work with the version control
stuff, that would be ideal if it suits your needs.
If you have that you can learn from it. See if it works out the way you
hope it would.
You can also discover that the current ways just don't suit your needs so
you need to invent something new.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Mark