Question (again) about enabling showing backup and previous versions in Dolphin.

Stef Bon stefbon at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 11:31:52 GMT 2015

Hi,

I've posted here earlier to make it possible to add backup functionality to
Dolphin.
'm a developer of a backup project. It's called fuse-backup, and aims to
provide easy access to backup and earlier versions through a fuse
filesystem.

It's using btrfs to create snapshots, sqlite to keep track of what has been
changed ans what versions of a file are available, and a fuse fs to provide
easy access and a simple interface to manage backups.

See:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/fusebackup/

I've been looking at the existing versioncontrolplugin API  of Dolphin, but
it looks like I need something else. Now on one my computers I have the
latest Ubuntu desktop version installed, and I see that in the filemanager
in Unity there is already such an option:"Revert to Previous Version...".

This is simular what I want. I'm thinking of an option in the context menu
like "Show previous versions..." and when enabling that, Dolphin should
expand the selected file with the versions available. This is tight
integration (no external tool) but is I think the best option.
Tools to view the previous version and compare it with the current version
are not yet available for office files, but are something I also want to
work on. Earlier I spoke Michael Meeks about using libreoffice to compare
office files, and recent versions have libreofficekit, which makes it
possible to build a viewer using tiles. Then it's not too hard to compare
documents by comparing tiles of the pages.

What is your opinion. Earlier I've posted this, and I believe one reaction.
Should I just try to build this, creating a backup api for Dolphin and an
interface to my software and offer a patch?

Stef
the Netherlands