dolphin branches

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Aug 10 23:04:30 BST 2015

On Monday 10 August 2015 19:16:46 Emmanuel Pescosta wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> > Where can I find the latest Qt4/KDE4-based version of Dolphin?
>
> In kde-baseapps branch Applications/15.04. Dolphin was removed
> from kde-baseapps master shortly after the Applications/15.04
> branching, because we have moved it into his own repository.
>
> > So there's no way to get the latest qt4 based version of both
> > dolphin and the rest of kde-baseapps.
>
> The latest released Qt4 based Dolphin is in Applications/15.04,
> starting with Applications/15.08 Dolphin is now Qt5 based. The
> same problem would also exist if Dolphin still is in kde-baseapps.

Well, it would be even worse then, since kde-baseapps Applications/15.08
would then be a mix of Qt4 and Qt5 based stuff, therefore almost impossible
to compile :-)

The decision to release a Qt5-based dolphin before the rest of kde-baseapps was
Qt5-based is the reason for this whole issue (but I can certainly understand why
this was done).

> How can we fix it? (we need to make Qt4 based Dolphin
> co-installable, right?)

I'm not asking for co-installability, I'm "only" asking for a way to build
the qt4 based stuff alone, in a qt4-based development setup.

In case you wonder, this is useful for comparing behaviour between
4 and 5 for instance, to separate regressions from long-standing issues.

But it's also useful to just be able to build one's own desktop.
My KDE4 desktop right now has no Dolphin anymore, since it's nowhere
to be found (I want kde-baseapps 15.08, not 15.04, no point in experiencing
bugs in the other apps, or listing old code in lxr...).

One solution would be to make the Applications/15.04 branch of
dolphin.git build.
It's not ideal though, it's a bigger change than just "making it possible
to fix a bug in the last qt4 based dolphin release".

Another solution would be to restore qt4-dolphin in kde-baseapps Applications/15.08
and master, but not compiled by default... those who need a qt4 based dolphin can then
enable it. Dead code, not ideal either.

Well, maybe I'm the only one with this need, in which case I'll give up.

I just know that for years it was useful to compile the KDE 3.5 branch, while right now it's almost
impossible to build all of the qt4/kdelibs4-based code from git, despite all my efforts.
Maybe this is on purpose, to avoid a Quaternity (*) fork? :-)

(*) pun on the Trinity kde3 fork

Working on KDE Frameworks 5