Firefox + KDE integration: Getting FF to use Dolphin reliably. 12+ years and counting.

grantksupport at operamail.com grantksupport at operamail.com
Tue Jul 8 05:50:05 BST 2014

On Mon, Jul 7, 2014, at 06:49 PM, Richard Newman wrote:
> * There are enough folks who are invested in this thing that it will be self-supporting.
>
> The latter is what Justin is suggesting: if the KDE-using part of the Mozilla community -- which I assume includes you -- considers KDE integration to be important, it needs to step up and own it by investing time. That means a long-term commitment to fixing bugs, maintaining tests, contributing to the integration points in Firefox, etc.

> If there are enough developers who are interested, starting the process should be straightforward: good patches (with tests!) on bugs, and a commitment to owning that work going forward. The bugs you mention aren't good evidence for this yet, but you can change that.

My point that I'm apparently failing to make at all here is that people HAVE invested time -- trying repeatedly over the last 12 years -- and quite frankly feel ignored/rejected.  As an outside reading the bugs etc, I can frankly see why.

This HAS been run up the flagpole a number of times by !Mozilla.  However, for it to succeed it needs input/acceptance/participation FROM Mozilla.  "you" after all, are the stewards & gatekeepers of this code.

> Mozilla isn't a company that's trying to win the market. It's a community that's trying to change the world.

That world happens to include those of us most likely to early-adopt your products and use them in our companies and technical environments.  But I digress ...

> That MoCo doesn't fund the salaries for development of Thunderbird doesn't mean it's abandoned

One word.  CardDAV.  Ok, two.  Ensemble.  DIfferent discussion ...

> and that people use Chrome doesn't mean we've failed -- quite the opposite! Chrome is a great browser.

I agree

> A rising tide lifts all ships.

Nice philosohpy,  Often the case.  Personally, I think there's more to be concerned about here, e.g. http://www.zdnet.com/firefox-web-browser-popularity-wanes-7000031310/

Let me be clear -- I'm a fan. I've been generally surrounded by others, too. Imo, Mozilla could use more users that are fans.  Lots of us are still scratching our heads about not providing a mechanism and an umbrella from Mozilla for many to help fund those ^^ devs.

> firefox-dev and bugs are as good a place as any to start. But remember: people who care need to own solving the problem. It's not enough to spend time advocating for someone else to fix it.

Agreed.  Nor is it enough for devs at solid projects like Opensue who've worked on the problem, and posted bugs at Mozilla simply to be ignored by those with the 'keys to the car'.

The right people would need to talk.  Starting with a mutual interest in openly addressing the problem, it's challenge, and search for a solution.

In the end, Firefox devs.  That's not me.  I'm just a user in this case.  There are _clearly_ talented folks interested in this problem scattered across projecs.  Are there at Mozilla?

To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-kde+unsubscribe at opensuse.org
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-kde+owner at opensuse.org