Dolphin and Baloo

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Mon Jan 27 10:44:34 GMT 2014

Vishesh HandaOn Monday 16 December 2013 11:46:20  wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> In case you haven't heard about Baloo, please read [1]
>
> Baloo offers a much faster and reliable file search than Nepomuk ever has.
> Additionally, it doesn't require a process to be running all the time. So,
> Dolphin queries will work even if Baloo has not started up.
>
> Since Nepomuk is effectively in maintenance mode, perhaps we could migrate
> Dolphin away from Nepomuk. Currently, Nepomuk is a compile time switch, so
> the code can easily be replaced with Baloo.
>
> Opinions?

Hey guys

Baloo is now a part of KDE SC. I'd like to merge the feature/baloo branch in
kde-baseapps. It mostly works right now, though it can definitely use more
testing.

Could someone maybe review the code?

Here is what currently does not work -

1. Date Time filtering when searching via Dolphin - I still haven't figured
out a nice API for this.

2. Tagging Multiple files - It works in the most basic case, but there is
still an odd case where it fails. I'm working on it.

3. Support for file systems which do not support xattr.

--
Vishesh Handa