File manager context menus

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sun Aug 17 15:13:18 BST 2014

On 17.08.2014 10:19, David Faure wrote:
> Dolphin developers, Folderview developers, what do you think?

Tricky. I think the total reimplementation of Folder View in
Plasma 5, as well as technically even the emergence of Dolphin,
provide hard evidence that new file managers do get written,
and that they're rarely interested in reinventing the wheel on
context menus (as seen in the similarity of the end result, if
not the implementation). That suggests there's definitely a
case for a shared library providing them.

I'd prefer using such a shared library over Folder View cook-
ing its own menus. I also think it's good for consistency.

OTOH, we're looking at a split and perhaps a transition in
toolkit technologies. Folder View already has a couple of
problems stemming from KonqPopupMenu being married to QWidget,
e.g. QWidget parameters it has no choice but to pass 0 for,
leaving dialog boxes parent less (which I might add also have
the exec() crash problem).

So perhaps the goal must be to offer QML bindings from the
start -- only to validate that things can be instanciated and
used outside a C++ environment, and instead in an environment
that guarantees QWidget can't be a requirement.

Cheers,
Eike