search:/audio

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 22 14:47:13 BST 2014

Hi,

> Hi I'd like to review the search area of the side bar. I have about
> 100.000 pictures and 30.000 audio files and so one. so shen I'd like
> to use the sarch menu, dolphin get really slow (aI understand why). Is
> it posible to use a kio-slave module for the search.

the search is already done by a kioslave (called 'baloosearch').

> At the timeline
> you use folders for every day why you don't use this system for the
> seach modul. Or maybe only for pictures, audio and video
>
> Examples
>
> Pictures:
> Year -> Year - Month -> Pictures
> 2014 -> 2014-01 -> Pictures 1
>
> Audio:
> Genre -> Album -> Audio files
> Arttist -> Album -> Audio files
> Album -> Audio files
>
> Video:
> Movie ->
> Series ->
> Would work only with more information from imdb, ...
>
> I know you get problems with the sarch module but, maybe you can swith
> from the search modul to a kio slave like the timeline modul.

I see - what you want is a kioslave that represents the files which
have been found in a different way.

> When I won't to start this project, was It possible that someone could
> help me. My first questens were:
> 1. Do you think it's a good idee which you integrate into dolphin

No modifications in Dolphin are required. If you write a new kioslave
and install it, then entering, e.g., "mynewfancysearch:" in the
location bar is sufficient to access it. One can add a bookmark for it
in the Places Panel, of course.

In principle, it would also be possible to change the behavior of the
existing search entries in the Places Panel to make use of a new
kioslave, but this could only be done if we are 100% sure that the
kioslave is actually installed on the user's system. Right now, we
only enable the search entries if Baloo is found.

Moreover, any changes to the behavior of the existing search entries
should probably be discussed with the usability team and with the
Baloo people (even more so if you intend to add your kioslave to the
Baloo repository at some point).

> 2. where are the files for the timeline and the search modul

look at the src/kioslaves directory in http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=baloo.git

Cheers,
Frank