[Design] lighten Dolphin’s Control menu

sinma eichi237 at mailoo.org
Wed Sep 4 14:32:38 BST 2013

Le mercredi 4 septembre 2013 11:04:52 Frank Reininghaus a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> 2013/9/3 sinma:
> > It’ll be nice if some of the design decision were on the Dolphin website
> > or
> > somewhere easy to find, so guys like me can understand why things are like
> > there are, etc (and also for others KDE projects, on techbase or userbase
> > for example).
>
> that would certainly be nice, but please note that all work on Dolphin
> is done by volunteers in their spare time. Handling the incoming bug
> reports, reviewing patches, fixing some bugs from time to time, and
> writing useful replies to mails like yours is extremely
> time-consuming, and getting at least some of that stuff done that
> other people put on my endless TODO list is quite challenging for me.
> Setting up a wiki page which explains the design decisions, and even
> more importantly, keeping it up to date, is something that I can
> definitely not do. Moreover, the vast majority of the design decisions
> have not been taken by people who are still active in Dolphin
> development, so it would be even harder to explain the reasons for
> them.
>
> If anyone else volunteers to set up such a page and maintain it in the
> future, that would certainly be appreciated.

As you can see, maybe I’m not the best person to do that! But I think it don’t
need to be very long, just describe big design decisions like why the are
others options not implemented, etc.

At least it might be a good idea to fill it as people like me ask. I’ve also
some things on my TODO list but I can try to present some informations I
glaned here.

About the Dolphin doc, it refers to «old» Dolphin UI. We can back to the old
one when we like, but maybe the doc must refer to the new to help beginners,
and those which keeps the old one may refer to old documentation (an hyperlink
to the «old» documentation?).

sinma