Quo vadis, Dolphin? Start of the developers study.

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Wed Mar 20 11:08:18 GMT 2013

Hi there,

I just close the study. 28 participants started but only 6 finished all questions.
First insights: we asked about some "strange aspects" (functionality, robustness, operability, etc.). Those terms are known as dialog principles (ISO 9241-110: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241) and should prioritized in our opinion because they are mutually exclusive. For instance it's rather difficult to have an easy to use system that is very feature rich.

You sorted in average as follows (with n=28):

Functionality     1.92
Robustness     3.14
Operability     3.5
Self-descriptiveness     3.64
User expectations     5.0
Learnability     5.0
Individualization     5.78

Most important is functionality, least important individualization. Looking on your rating about implementation bug-fixing seems to be most important.

(average values between 1=needs heavy improvement and 5=almost perfect; unfortunately n=6 answers only)
Operability     2.83
Self-descriptiveness     3
Learnability     3.33
Functionality     3.5
Robustness     3.5
User expectations     3.67
Individualization     4

We will analyze the data in detail now. Based on the results and your comments we set up the user study then.

Best wishes,
Heiko.