Suggestion about dolphin versions

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 24 21:21:48 BST 2013

Hi Todd, and sorry for the late response.

2013/6/15 Todd Rme:
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Frank Reininghaus
> <frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> From my understanding there
>>> may not be full KDE SC releases anymore, with each project working on
>>> its own schedule.  I am not sure it is the best idea to switch to a
>>> numbering scheme that may very well be deprecated in a matter of
>>> months.
>>
>> Do you mean that a stable KDE Frameworks version will be released "in
>> a matter of months", or a Frameworks-based version of Dolphin?
>
> I am saying the decision on whether to support an frameworks-wide
> version numbering scheme will probably be made in a matter of months.

All right, thanks for the clarification!

>> We could also just call the next versions 2.3.0, 2.3.1, etc., but then
>> someone (probably me) would have to remember to update the version in
>> the code every single month and resolve the merge conflicts. It's not
>> going to be much fun, and it will cause trouble if it's forgotten or
>> done incorrectly once in a while. That's why I thought just using the
>> kdelibs version would be easier, and to be honest, I don't think many
>> users care if the next Dolphin version is 2.3 or 4.11.
>
> Again, I really don't know myself, I am just pointing out that this
> might (or might not) become an issue, so should probably be kept in
> mind.  Even if you decide to go with the current upstream version
> numbering, if this is removed you can still just continue with the
> numbers where they left off. But since it is something that is being
> seriously considered, I thought it worth bringing up just in case it
> has some impact on the decision.

OK, I appreciate that you brought the issue up.

I still think that there are quite a few advantages if we go with the
KDE SC version, and no significant disadvantage. If anyone sees a
disadvantage that has been overlooked so far, please speak up soon, or
I'll change the version before the Beta 2 tagging.

Thanks and best regards,
Frank