Suggestion about dolphin versions

Jekyll Wu adaptee at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 07:35:32 BST 2013

On 2013年06月14日 18:30, Frank Reininghaus wrote:> Hi Jekyll,

 > thanks for your efforts to make bugs.kde.org a more pleasant place :-)
 >
 > 2013/6/14 Jekyll Wu:
 >> Dolphin has been using version scheme of "x.y" instead of "x.y.z".  So
 >> dolphin from KDE SC 4.10.{0,1,2,3,4,5} are all identified as the same
 >> "dolphin 2.2" .
 >
 > Yes, I agree that this is confusing. In principle, we could of course
 > have used versions 2.2.0, 2.2.1, etc., but this would require a
 > monthly update of the version not only at bugs.kde.org, but also in
 > the code (including manual resolution of merge conflicts when we merge
 > the stable branch into master).

I could help with the version updating on bugs.kde.org. I have a
home-made stupid script, which can be used to add/disable versions. I
run it after every KDE SC release.

 >> I would suggest switching to the "x.y.z" scheme in KDE SC 4.11 , for the
 >> following following benefit:
 >
 > I fully agree that this makes a lot of sense. But I think the best way
 > to do it is to simply use the KDE version also for Dolphin (I think
 > Gwenview did the same thing recently).

Yes, gwenview made that change in the KDE SC 4.10.x cycle. That change
should work fine for the whole KDE SC 4.x series, where kdelibs
(providing KDE_VERSION_STRING) and application are released together.
For the future, Todd has brought up the concern with KF5.  Since quite a
few applications use KDE_VERSION_STRING, that might deserve a discussion
on kde-core-devel ML.

 > Ah, one more thing: do you know if it is possible to keep Dolphin's
 > enabled versions at bugs.kde.org synced with the kdelibs ones once the
 > new version scheme is implemented? It would be nice if we could save
 > everyone from the trouble that would happen if we forget to create the
 > new version every month.

Not sure about the syncing with kdelibs, but here is something related
in my mind.  Given that we already have the "BUG" and "FIXED-IN" keyword
in git commit message to automatically modify some specified bug report,
I think/imagine it is also doable to implement a "VERSION-BUMP:
<product>|<version> " keyword, which can be used when bumping version in
the source code and automatically adds the specified version for the
specified product in bugs.kde.org.

Even if that is not doable, you can leave the work on bugs.kde.org to me
or my stupid script.

Regards
Jekyll