Confirmation for deletion of files in Dolphin settings also affects Gwenview

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 16:26:17 BST 2013

On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Frank Reininghaus
<frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Burkhard recently made me aware of the following forum discussion:
>
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=213&t=110440
>
> Some users have noticed that Gwenview does not ask for confirmation
> when deleting a file if that confirmation is disabled in Dolphin. When
> having a closer look at the issue, this is not really surprising
> because Dolphin writes that setting to the global config kiorc, and
> both applications use KIO to delete files, which respects that
> setting.
>
> However, this is not really a user-friendly solution and might even
> lead to data loss if a user who does not find any way to
> enable/disable confirmations in Gwenview assumes that it will always
> ask before really deleting the file. Moreover, it appears that earlier
> versions of Gwenview did offer to enable such a confirmation.
>
> I think that we might want to
>
> (a) Add a warning in Dolphin's settings dialog that the "Trash" and
> "Delete" confirmations, unlike the "Close window with multiple tabs"
> one, affects *all* KDE applications. One possibility would be to add
> the text "Please note that this setting affects all KDE applications"
> to the text next to the two checkboxes. Input from Burkhard would be
> appreciated here because he works a lot with texts in the GUI and the
> docs and might have better ideas how this could be solved.
>
> (b) Restore the possibility to configure the confirmations in
> Gwenview's settings dialog.
>
> Comments and ideas are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Frank

Hi Frank,

Just adding an alternative option here.

The case and result of the setting in dolphin is interesting. If
dolphin would've been the only application showing those dialogs then
dolphin would be the right place to turn them off or add a capability
to do so.

However, in this case dolphin allows the user to change a setting that
isn't his to change in the first place. Dolphin doesn't own or create
the dialog so i think it shouldn't touch it either. So where should
it's setting be places? System-settings! It belongs there. Dolphin and
gwenview should not touch it, just obey it. System-settings should
have a page somewhere where you can influence KIO controls.

The downside is that such a page doesn't exist (or does it?) and i
doubt it will be created in the remaining KDE 4.xx lifetime so in that
case it might be best to add a big warning note in dolphin that
changing this specific setting will influence all KDE apps.

Just my 5 cents :)