Suggestion about dolphin versions

Todd Rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 12:44:33 BST 2013

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 12:30 PM, Frank Reininghaus
<frank78ac at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2013/6/14 Jekyll Wu:
>> I would suggest switching to the "x.y.z" scheme in KDE SC 4.11 , for the
>> following following benefit:
>
> I fully agree that this makes a lot of sense. But I think the best way
> to do it is to simply use the KDE version also for Dolphin (I think
> Gwenview did the same thing recently).
>
> I see that Konqueror does this by simply using KDE_VERSION_STRING in
> KAboutData (see KonqFactory::aboutData()). Maybe we should do the
> same? This would mean that we never have to update the version in the
> code again. This has the disadvantage that the version might not be
> correct if a user builds Dolphin with a newer kdelibs (which is always
> possible) or with an older one (which is possible if the minimum
> requirement is fulfilled). But I think that this happens very rarely.
>
> Does anyone have any objections?

Will this still work with Frameworks 5?  From my understanding there
may not be full KDE SC releases anymore, with each project working on
its own schedule.  I am not sure it is the best idea to switch to a
numbering scheme that may very well be deprecated in a matter of
months.