Suggestion about dolphin versions

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 14 11:30:30 BST 2013

Hi Jekyll,

thanks for your efforts to make bugs.kde.org a more pleasant place :-)

2013/6/14 Jekyll Wu:
> Dolphin has been using version scheme of "x.y" instead of "x.y.z".  So
> dolphin from KDE SC 4.10.{0,1,2,3,4,5} are all identified as the same
> "dolphin 2.2" .

Yes, I agree that this is confusing. In principle, we could of course
have used versions 2.2.0, 2.2.1, etc., but this would require a
monthly update of the version not only at bugs.kde.org, but also in
the code (including manual resolution of merge conflicts when we merge
the stable branch into master).

> I would suggest switching to the "x.y.z" scheme in KDE SC 4.11 , for the
> following following benefit:

I fully agree that this makes a lot of sense. But I think the best way
to do it is to simply use the KDE version also for Dolphin (I think
Gwenview did the same thing recently).

I see that Konqueror does this by simply using KDE_VERSION_STRING in
KAboutData (see KonqFactory::aboutData()). Maybe we should do the
same? This would mean that we never have to update the version in the
code again. This has the disadvantage that the version might not be
correct if a user builds Dolphin with a newer kdelibs (which is always
possible) or with an older one (which is possible if the minimum
requirement is fulfilled). But I think that this happens very rarely.

Does anyone have any objections?

Ah, one more thing: do you know if it is possible to keep Dolphin's
enabled versions at bugs.kde.org synced with the kdelibs ones once the
new version scheme is implemented? It would be nice if we could save
everyone from the trouble that would happen if we forget to create the
new version every month.

Regards,
Frank

P.S.:

> By the way, dolphin version has not been bumped for the KDE SC 4.11 beta1 release. It is still 2.10.60  :)

Yes, I forgot that. I noticed that yesterday and created that version
at bugs.kde.org to make sure that our beta 1 bug reports can be
assigned a meaningful version.