Search Indicators in Dolphin

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 6 15:41:03 BST 2013

Hi Vishesh,

2013/6/6 Vishesh Handa:
> I was thinking of showing the current directory which it is scanning
> through, though I'm not sure how I would show that via the GUI or how I
> would implement that.
>
> The reason for showing visual feedback is that if Nepomuk is not enabled
> searching will take some time, and in that case there should be some visual
> feedback as to where it is searching. Just a "processing" sign is not
> enough.

Right, I see what you mean. Showing the directory where it's currently
searching in the status bar might be an option, but I'm not sure if
there is a clean way to have a kioslave send that kind of information
to Dolphin.

>> (b) How would it be implemented?
>>
>> One option might be that we check (maybe in
>> DolphinViewContainer::slotDirectoryLoadingStarted() ?) if Nepomuk is
>> going to be used for the search, and ask Nepomuk somehow if a message
>> as described in (a) should be shown, and if that is the case, just
>> show it in the message widget. But maybe there are other options - I'm
>> not extremely familiar with the search-related code, so I might not
>> see the best solution.
>

> I'm somewhat familiar with the code. Anyway, that's just an implementation
> detail. I'm sure I can get it to work.
>
> The main question now is -
>
> Once the implementation is done, should I ask for an exception from the
> release team? I would also probably need to ask the translation team.
>
> Or should we wait till 4.12?

Well, I'd say that it depends on how much it affects the existing
code. If it's as simple as calling a Nepomuk function to get a string
that would be shown in the message widget, and that happens only if
Nepomuk is enabled and not done with indexing (I'm thinking that this
would not require more than ~20 lines of code on the Dolphin side, but
I might be completely wrong), then I would not mind if we include it
in 4.11.

Cheers,
Frank