Search Indicators in Dolphin

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Thu Jun 6 15:18:09 BST 2013

Hey Frank

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Frank Reininghaus
<frank78ac at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi Vishesh,
>
> sorry for the late response - sometimes it's hard to find the time for
> useful replies when my work (unrelated to KDE) and the endless stream
> of bug reports and new e-mails keeps me busy :-(

That's all right.

> 2013/6/3 Vishesh Handa:
> > Btw, on a slightly unrelated note, we need to give the user some kind of
> > feedback when they are using the filenamesearch kioslave or the Nepomuk
> > kioslave.
>
> Do you have a good idea what such a kind of visual feedback could look
> like?

I was thinking of showing the current directory which it is scanning
through, though I'm not sure how I would show that via the GUI or how I
would implement that.

The reason for showing visual feedback is that if Nepomuk is not enabled
searching will take some time, and in that case there should be some visual
feedback as to where it is searching. Just a "processing" sign is not
enough.

> About the original question concerning what we tell the user when
> searching before the indexing is finished: I think we could break this
> into two parts:
>
> (a) What should it look like, and how should it behave?
>
> If I understand you correctly, you suggest to go ahead with the
> Nepomuk-search and show a KMessageWidget-like notification that tells
> the user that indexing is not finished yet, that the results might be
> incomplete, and when the indexing is expected to finish, right? That
> sounds reasonable to me, but note that I'm neither a usability nor a
> GUI expert ;-)

Lets implement it as and see. In most cases the message will never be shown
to the user at all.

> (b) How would it be implemented?
>
> One option might be that we check (maybe in
> DolphinViewContainer::slotDirectoryLoadingStarted() ?) if Nepomuk is
> going to be used for the search, and ask Nepomuk somehow if a message
> as described in (a) should be shown, and if that is the case, just
> show it in the message widget. But maybe there are other options - I'm
> not extremely familiar with the search-related code, so I might not
> see the best solution.

I'm somewhat familiar with the code. Anyway, that's just an implementation
detail. I'm sure I can get it to work.

The main question now is -

Once the implementation is done, should I ask for an exception from the
release team? I would also probably need to ask the translation team.

Or should we wait till 4.12?

--
Vishesh Handa