Dolphin and Baloo

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Dec 17 11:04:02 GMT 2013

Hey Frank

On Tuesday 17 Dec 2013 10:59:12 Frank Reininghaus wrote:

> I think that migrating is fine as long as it does not cause trouble
> for the people who try to build, package, or use Dolphin. I'd like to
> avoid things like
>
> #ifdef HAVE_BALOO
> #else
> #ifdef HAVE_NEPOMUK
>
> So I'd say that if we migrate, we should drop support for the
> deprecated Nepomuk stuff completely.

+1

> Some more questions:
>
> 1. Is Baloo going to be part of future KDE SC releases, just like
> nepomuk-core and nepomuk-widgets are now?

Yes. I'm going to put them up for review next week, and they should move out
of playground in about 3 weeks.

> 2. Are there any changes in the API for the functionality that is used
> by Dolphin, i.e. the meta data widget, the search/timeline stuff, and
> the parts that are being used by the KFileItemModelRolesUpdater class?

- The FileMetadataWidget is going to be identical.
- The timeline kioslave's interface is the same
- the search kioslave has changed, but that should not affect Dolphin

Things that will need to be changed in Dolphin -

1. PlacesItemModel - done

2. Searching
    2.1 - Normal file search - done (almost)
    2.2 - Faceted search

3. NepomukRolesProviders will be removed and a BalooRolesProvider is required.
This is a little hard as the RoleProviders are supposed to synchronous. Baloo
only has async APIs. I could call KJob::exec() but I do not that would be
wise.

4. Nepomuk2::FileMetaDataWidget -> Baloo::FileMetaDataWidget

5. Other small uses of Nepomuk

--
Vishesh Handa