Dolphin and Baloo

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 17 09:59:12 GMT 2013

Hi,

2013/12/16 Vishesh Handa:
> Hey guys
>
> In case you haven't heard about Baloo, please read [1]
>
> Baloo offers a much faster and reliable file search than Nepomuk ever has.
> Additionally, it doesn't require a process to be running all the time. So,
> Dolphin queries will work even if Baloo has not started up.

Sounds good :-)

> Since Nepomuk is effectively in maintenance mode, perhaps we could migrate
> Dolphin away from Nepomuk. Currently, Nepomuk is a compile time switch, so the
> code can easily be replaced with Baloo.
>
> Opinions?

I think that migrating is fine as long as it does not cause trouble
for the people who try to build, package, or use Dolphin. I'd like to
avoid things like

#ifdef HAVE_BALOO
#else
#ifdef HAVE_NEPOMUK

So I'd say that if we migrate, we should drop support for the
deprecated Nepomuk stuff completely.

Some more questions:

1. Is Baloo going to be part of future KDE SC releases, just like
nepomuk-core and nepomuk-widgets are now?

2. Are there any changes in the API for the functionality that is used
by Dolphin, i.e. the meta data widget, the search/timeline stuff, and
the parts that are being used by the KFileItemModelRolesUpdater class?

Thanks and best regards,
Frank