Removing Dolphin's tool menu

Frank Reininghaus frank78ac at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:49:46 BST 2012

Hi,

thanks for your message!

2012/9/1 Todd:
> Currently dolphin has a menu called "tools".  On my system, at least, it has
> 4 items:  show filterbar, compare files, open terminal, and select remote
> charset.  This is also a submenu in the unified menu now used by default.
>
> In my opinion, there are better places for these entries.  I have specific
> idea for each:
>
> show filterbar: this should be moved to the view menu and the top level of
> the unified menu.
> compare files: this should be a service menu.  As far as I can tell there is
> no built-in way to restrict service menus to only a certain number of files,
> which would be needed here.  I propose either adding that option, or
> adapting KDiff3's service menu library which has this feature.

I'm not sure if this can be done easily in a service menu. The problem
that I see is that the two files to be compared might be in different
views in split view mode.

> open terminal: there is already a service menu for this, so it is redundant
> remote charset: is there a major need for this?  If so it should go either
> in the right-click menu or the view menu, and ideally hide it on local
> drives.  If not it should probably be restricted to konqueror, placed in
> settings, or placed in "view properties"..

I currently don't know what the "remote charset" is for. git blame
might tell us why that entry was added...

> What does everyone feel think about this proposal?  Of course there may be
> very good reasons for keeping things the way they are, and if not these may
> not be the optimal approaches.

I agree that the "Show Filterbar" option would also fit in the 'view'
menu, but I don't really see a compelling reason for removing the
"Tools" menu at the moment. At least the "Compare" action looks like
it could maybe not be implemented easily in another way, and I know
that people use it (even I use it sometimes).

Best regards,
Frank