Removing Dolphin's tool menu

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 16:57:01 BST 2012

Currently dolphin has a menu called "tools".  On my system, at least, it
has 4 items:  show filterbar, compare files, open terminal, and select
remote charset.  This is also a submenu in the unified menu now used by
default.

In my opinion, there are better places for these entries.  I have specific
idea for each:

show filterbar: this should be moved to the view menu and the top level of
the unified menu.
compare files: this should be a service menu.  As far as I can tell there
is no built-in way to restrict service menus to only a certain number of
files, which would be needed here.  I propose either adding that option, or
adapting KDiff3's service menu library which has this feature.
open terminal: there is already a service menu for this, so it is redundant
remote charset: is there a major need for this?  If so it should go either
in the right-click menu or the view menu, and ideally hide it on local
drives.  If not it should probably be restricted to konqueror, placed in
settings, or placed in "view properties"..

What does everyone feel think about this proposal?  Of course there may be
very good reasons for keeping things the way they are, and if not these may
not be the optimal approaches.

-Todd