proposal

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 11:11:48 BST 2012

On Sat, Oct 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM, Ionel Gabriel Niculescu
<gabion7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a very important project which need konqueror because is the only
> browser that allows split screen repeatedly, a function of paramount
> importance for any GUI but sadly neglected.
>
> There are also important changes that will be introduced in any file manager
> as an important future standardization: the introduction of two additional
> fields in the database file system to be editable for the current user.
> Because I work on a project that uniquely encode standardized everything
> there and then for each name of an entity there will be a unique identifier.
> Therefore we need two additional fields associated with a folder or file
> editable.
>
> Ideally there a function that the user can enter more fields associated with
> a folder or file and to have user data labels.
>
> In fact, every entity can have besides unique identification code and other
> codes with different meanings and functions. Encoding will use highly
> selective search function is so crucial. who will introduce this system will
> gain importance.
>
> An other crucial function is tree view and operation with this, especialy
> for search but development of system too.
>
> I looking for your answer as soon is possible,

Sorry, I am not clear what the question is.  If you are asking whether
this can be implemented in konqueror, the answer is "yes", although
likely only as an add-on.  Exactly how depends on some details.

Can you provide more details about these special keys?  What is the
exact information they are containing?  Is it numeric or text?  Is it
just a generic unique ID, or is the information more specific?  Do all
files and folders have both keys, or do folders have one key and files
have another?  Are they determined by the user, given to the user by
something else (like a paper list), are they determined automatically
by the system, or are they determined automatically be another
program?  Do these keys change if the file or folder is moved
somewhere else in the tree, or do they follow the file or folder
everywhere?  Do they follow the file or folder if it is sent to
another computer?

How are you planning on implementing the storage of these additional
fields?  Are you using a database to store everything, a database to
store just these additional fields, custom extended attributes in an
existing filesystem, integrate with an existing metadata database like
nepomuk, something else entirely, or have you not decided?  Each of
these would require different approaches.

The simplest approach from a development standpoint would be using
nepomuk, which stores metadata (additional informatioN) about files
and folders.  This has the advantage that indexing and searching is
already implemented.  Implementing a way to get custom system-wide and
user-wide tags easily accessible within file managers might be useful
for specialized tasks like this, although if this is just a generic
unique ID key it might be general-purpose enough for enterprise
environments to be implemented by default (if it isn't already).

Lower-level methods like your own database could be implemented as kio
slaves, which are basically virtual filesystems that let you access
anything as though it were a set of files and folders.  This would
give you complete control of how things are read, written, and
displayed, but you have to implement many of the details yourself.

Medium-level methods like extended attributes could be written using
something called a service menu, which lets you add additional custom
entries to the right-click menu.  However it doesn't appear there is
currently a method to display such data in the file manager window.

-Todd