Help developers weed through bug reports and find truly valid bugs

"Gérard Talbot" browserbugs at gtalbot.org
Tue Sep 13 16:30:35 BST 2011

> Hi,
>
> 2011/9/4 "Gérard Talbot":
>> A bug report which would have the clean-report keyword added would mean:
>>
>> - the bug is valid and we can even find/quote a spec excerpt about it
>> - the bug report has clear steps to reproduce

A bug report that does not have clear steps to reproduce should not be
marked as NEW, should not be confirmed.

>> - the bug report summary and description are formal and factual

Sometimes, bug reporters say for actual results, eg, "the textarea does
not work", "the textarea should work" but this does not describe what they
mean by "work" and "does not work". "work" in general is not very
specific, is pretty broad.

>> - the bug reporter replies back when asked questions or to provide more
>> info

Many bug reporters file a bug report and then run, move out.

>> - the bug report has a reduced testcase (triggering web standards
>> compliant rendering mode : do Ctrl+I, rendering mode value) by which we
>> can reproduce 100% of the time the problem reported
>> - all of the relevant details, specifics about the system and
>> application
>> of the bug reporter are mentioned.
>
> we have the "reproduceable" keyword which means mostly the same AFAIK.

Frank, maybe you are right; we do not necessarly need new keywords but we
certainly need to create, streamline or update current documentation on
how to file a bug report.

As I said before, the

Investigating Konqueror Bugs
http://www.konqueror.org/investigatebug/

is good but has some incorrect and inaccurate info and has a "How to
report a bug in KDE" link ( http://bugs.kde.org/Reporting.html
)  which leads to a 404 Not Found webpage!

>> Other keywords should be introduced to help figure out issues and
>> problems
>> into categories:
>
> I think that keywords can only be added globally (i.e., not restricted
> to a certain product on bugs.kde.org), right? In that case, I think
> that new keywords should only be added if they are useful for most
> products which use bugs.kde.org (something like "reproduceable",
> "release blocker" etc.). If every product introduced its own set of
> additional keywords, we'd have a big mess of keywords, and that would
> not help anyone.

Frank, I do not think so. I think keywords added should be only done by
bug-triaging people or by people with sufficient powers to do so.

Gérard
--
Konqueror Implementation Report of CSS 2.1 test suite (RC6): 9418 testcases
http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/Konqueror4Bugs/Konq-IR-CSS21TestSuite.html