Is isPopupWindow()'s behaviour in konqmainwindow.cpp correct?

Dawit A adawit at kde.org
Fri Apr 8 05:05:59 BST 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 8:01 PM, Raphael Kubo da Costa <kubito at gmail.com> wrote:
> David Faure <faure at kde.org> writes:
>
>> But what we're seeing here is two opposite wishes:
>> * you would like window.open() to always always open in a new tab, while
>> * harri would like window.open() to
>>  - open a popup window if the javascript specifies a (small) popup window (e.g.
>> no menubar, no statusbar, width=, height=), and
>>  - open a tab otherwise (typicall for full webpages).
>>
>> However adding a third checkbox sounds completely crazy to me, so I see no
>> solution that would make everyone happy.
>
> If that matters, both Firefox and Opera implement the former (I'm unable
> to test Internet Explorer, couldn't find a similar option for Chromium
> and don't have Rekonq at hand).

That is not true. If a window.open request contains any "features" as
shown below, then it MUST always be opened as a new window regardless
of the user's preference.

window.open ("http://www.kde.org", "new_window", "width=200, height=100");

Otherwise, things like web calender widgets would not work as
intended. Oh and those features in the third parameter do not have to
be width and height information either. You can try the above script
in both Firefox and Opera, or any other browser for that matter, and
you will see it opens up in a new window.