Annoying keyboard remapping

David Faure faure at kde.org
Fri Oct 8 14:21:01 BST 2010

On Friday 24 September 2010, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I very often use the CVS cervisia-part of konqueror. W3C has organized all
> its web-site with an underlying cvs. It is very convenient to navigate
> through the pages, edit and just take the cvs-view to upload the changes.
>
> But over time, konqueror's behavior has degraded a lot in usability. In KDE
> 3.5, there was an icon that appeared in the main bar when navigating inside
> a CVS folder. This disappeared and all my efforts to restore it failed.

This was actually supposed to be a usability improvement, because the view-
mode-changing icons in the toolbar were too many and the submenus (for the
various icon and list modes) made it hard to use.
And iirc the icon was always there, not just when inside a CVS folder, so it
was confusing to non-cvs users.

But I see your point, for often switching to a given view mode it's not as
convenient as before.

The best solution would be to set a shortcut for that action, but I just
tried, and it doesn't work because the action doesn't exist at the time the
shortcuts are loaded. Grmpf. I'll have a look at fixing that.

> Then I found that one could just type alt-v-v-e and the cervisia-part would
> start. But switching from KDE4.3 to KDE4.5 (Akonadi/Nepomuk is just a pain
> with no advantage because of missing interface for search) the behavior
> changed again.

Really? This surprises me. I can use alt-v-v-e just fine, with KDE 4.5 and
trunk. What's the problem exactly? The submenu has no accelerators for you?
_That_ sounds like a bug indeed.
Do they work everywhere else? Do you use a non-default widget style? (although
this should be unrelated...)

> Who decides those changes thus making KDE a moving target for power users?

The toolbar icon removal was my decision. Annoying power users was not my
intent. Power users should be able to define a shortcut instead (I'll have a
look at that), and menu accelerators should definitely work too.

> Who really considers going Gnome or back to KDE 3.x

Ouch. Let's fix the bug instead ;)