GSoC 2010 and Konqueror

Jonathan Schmidt-Dominé - Developer devel at the-user.org
Sun Feb 28 02:37:07 GMT 2010

Hi!

> There's also the Webkit/KHTML 'war'. What is the state of that discussion ?
> Should I worry about a switch at that level ?
> It seems that KHTML development is currently quite active so I'm not really
> worried about that.
Maybe some abstract work could be done. It should be automatically possible to
make KHTML- and WebKitPart-Plugins compatible.
KDEWebKit is not yet very KDEish, that could be another task.

> About the project itself, GreaseMonkey is a plugin for Firefox. Don't you
> think that a firefox-like plugin interface would be a big step up for
> Konqueror ?
> That plugin interface could even be compatible with Firefox plugins but I'm
> not familiar with firefox plugins so I can't really tell.
> I think it would be a too big project for a GSoC though.
Have you thought about discovering scripting-language-support? I tried to
create a Ruby-plugin and failed. JS for plugins would be certainly great.
Remember Kross and the (ruby|python)pluginfactory. I think Firefox-
compatibility would be an impossible task. But with good scripting-support it
should be much easier to port most important Firefox-plugins.

Jonathan

Operating System: GNU/Linux
Kernel: Linux 2.6.31.8-0.1-default
Qt: 4.6.2
KDE: 4.4.64 (KDE 4.4.64 (KDE 4.5 >= 20100220)) "release 2"
KMail: 1.13.0
http://gnu.org/
http://kde.org/
http://windows7sins.org/