GSoC 2010 and Konqueror

Detlev Casanova detlev.casanova at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 13:23:12 GMT 2010

Hello,

I'm Detlev Casanova and I'd like to help with the development of Konqueror :-)
I'd love to pass the summer coding to improve konqueror and I'm a student so
GSoC is exactly what I need.

I read Robert Riemann's post about GSoC 2010 and I'm really interested in the
'greasemonkey' project.

Even though I use Konqueror daily, I have some questions about it.

First of all, there was a lot of talking about dropping Konqueror for Rekonq.
Is that something that's possible, what does Rekonq would bring that is better
than Konqueror ?
Is that a real threat to Konqueror ?
Would that switch mean that the work done in Konqueror would be lost ?

There's also the Webkit/KHTML 'war'. What is the state of that discussion ?
Should I worry about a switch at that level ?
It seems that KHTML development is currently quite active so I'm not really
worried about that.

What do you think, from a developer point of view, is Konqueror biggest flaw ?

About the project itself, GreaseMonkey is a plugin for Firefox. Don't you
think that a firefox-like plugin interface would be a big step up for Konqueror
?
That plugin interface could even be compatible with Firefox plugins but I'm
not familiar with firefox plugins so I can't really tell.
I think it would be a too big project for a GSoC though.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I love Konqueror and I'm sure we can make it
rock even more.

Detlev.