GSoC 2010: Web scripting

Dmitriy Taychenachev dimichxp at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 16:59:34 BST 2010

Hello Harri,

je 05:01:44 vendredon la 2-an de aprilo vi skribis jenon:
> > AFAIR there was a draft of web scripting in playground (I have seen it
> > about an year ago), but I can't find it through the svn history, so I
> > don't know how the real state of it. So I have done my own research of
> > how this could be implemented. Since the greasmonkey technique is based
> > on standard dom listeners, which are about to work in khtml, the actual
> > part to implement is js interface of greasmonkey and packaging
> > management.
> >
> > My first idea was to implement the whole thing as a separate konqueror
> > plugin, but stumbled upon the kjs interface - for some reasons it
> > doesn't export raw interface, exporting higher level kjsapi instead,
> > which is not suitable for interning into khtml part's js interpreter.
>
> The kjsapi api can be enhanced whenever needed.

The KHTMLpart exports KJS::Interpreter, which is now considered to be
internal. I have looked through the svn log of kjs, and I see that internal
kjs api (like raw JSObjects) was dropped as public since r742298. I consider
reintroducing it somehow as public to be quite fundamental change. At least
for the beginning I would stick for integrating JS functions to the part
itself, which surely has access to raw kjs api. Later it should not be hard to
make it as external konq extension if raw kjs api would be returned.

> > Unfortunately I have noticed that GSoC is already going too late and I
> > have not yet produced some kind of draft (I wanted to but since my first
> > attempt with pure plugin failed, it turned to be more work to dive into
> > khtml itself).
>
> According to
>

> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs
> #timeline
>
> the deadline for applications is April 9. You should emphasize that you
> already investigated solutions and dove into the code that deeply.
>
> > I'd like to have some feedback to know if the proposal worths writing an
> > real application document.
>
> It definitely think it's worth it and I would volunteer to be a mentor of
> the project.

Thanks for your support. I will surely file an application this weekend.

Thanks, Dmitriy.