sidebar history in konqueror

Eduardo Robles Elvira edulix at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 10:47:14 BST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:20 AM, Hans Meine <hans_meine at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 September 2009 23:10:00 David Faure wrote:
>> On Monday 14 September 2009, Martin Koller wrote:
>> > What immediately jumped to my head was the idea of having the history
>> >  simply  as a new tab inside konqueror.
>>
>> I like the idea.
>>
>> ... which shows why the rewrite was a good idea: it should be easy now to
>> make it a tab, while it was completely impossible previously (it was too
>> tied to the sidebar framework).
>
> I noticed yesterday that firefox offers both modes, a sidebar (Ctrl-H) *and* a
> separate window (Ctrl-Shift-H).  The latter makes it easy to e.g. remove
> entries from the history selectively (select + del), while the former is more
> simple and convenient for the common case of quickly browsing the history.
>
> Although a history in a tab can be placed alongside the main browsing tab, I
> think a sidebar history is more user-friendly for the latter use case.
>
> Have a nice day,
>  Hans

Hello people!

The Ctrl+Shift+H is really the places organizer, which (at least in
firefox 3.5) has been renamed to "Library".  I'm writing the new
bookmarks system for Konqueror. At the moment I've stopped for two
weeks because of September exams but the 21th I finish and I'll come
back again working on it. I think that we could integrate the history
in the Bookmarks Editor just as Firefox' Library but first of course
we need to do one step at a time and finish the new bookmark system
and integrate it in trunk, then maybe we can extend this
Nepomuk/Akonadi places thing also to history and extend the bookmarks
organizer to also manage history.

About using a new tab, that's an interesting idea indeed. If you take
a look at various web browsers, they are using that system for various
things, it seems to be the new trend :P. For example instead of having
a restore session dialog, you get a restoration tab. Also in Opera and
Chrome contexts are presented to the user in a start-page with
relevant links. I like this approach because it's not cumbersome to
the user, it's a non-modal interface which is not restricted to the
small space of a sidebar (and doesn't need to be resized like a
sidebar), and instead uses one of the most-used and well-known
resources of a modern web browser for a user, tabs ;-).

BTW I also think this discussion should be happening in kfm-devel?
I'm sending a copy of this email there too.

Thanks for your time,
    Eduardo RE.